Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chicken's Chicken Cacciatore and Veggie Cacciatore

My husband and I purchased a cast iron dutch oven (see link below) that sat on our stove and looked beautiful sitting there for several months. So I looked up recipes and I found this lovely youtube video: Chicken Cacciatore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MCjC3vd-sA

I made different variations on these two, one vegetarian version. Here is what I did. I apologize for the sometimes strange directions, I know I usually don't measure.

Ingredients:
Three or four boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 diced tomato
1 medium diced onion
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 diced bell pepper
2 tablespoons garlic
1 can of tomato sauce
Vegetable and Chicken broth
Red wine vinegar
Flour
Salt and pepper
Olive oil

Cook the chicken breasts in the pan with the oil on high heat after covering them in flour and adding salt and pepper to them. After the breasts are browned, remove them from the pan and start cooking the onion in the remaining oil, you may have to add more oil if needed and lower the temperature. After the onion has softened a bit, add one tablespoon of garlic, the bell pepper, mushrooms and tomato sauce into the mixture. Then add the chicken back into the pan. Add about two tablespoons of redwine vinegar and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Cover and let simmer for twenty minutes or so.

For the Veggie Cacciatore: Since I'm making this at the same time as the chicken cacciatore, I use some of the same ingredients in a smaller pan, since this will only be for one. I start with olive oil and onions, then add garlic, mushrooms, tomato sauce (no bell pepper for me). I usually use 1/4 of what I've diced for the chicken cacciatore for the veggie cacciatore. I then add about a half a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and a tiny bit, maybe 1/4 cup of veggie broth if needed. This only needs to cook for roughly 10-15 minutes.

Serve over egg noodles:



Chicken's Chicken Cacciatore




Veggie Cacciatore


















Links:
Cast iron cookware from Academy - http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27887_-1?Ntt=cast+iron&Ntk=All

No comments:

Post a Comment